Music for Everyone
Since the inaugural year in 2016, the RLSWF has gifted more than $20,000 to the Red Lodge Public Schools Music Department. Now the Red Lodge Songwriter Festival Inc. (RLSWF), is expanding its annual music-education grant program to public school music departments in Carbon County, Montana.
Purpose and Goals
The goal of this grant is to provide additional monetary support to Public School Music Departments in Carbon County, Montana, for developing their music-education offering, thereby fostering student interest and participation in music.
Applications for 2020 will be accepted from April 15, 2020, to June 1, 2020.
Applications will not be accepted for consideration after June 1, 2020.
The RLSWF Grant Committee will review the applications and award grants on Saturday, June 22, 2019.
- The applicant must be a publicly funded school K – 12 located in Carbon County, Montana, for the benefit of its music department.
- The school must set-up a restricted account for these monies to be deposited specifically for the granted use.
- Have at least one full- or part-time (20 hours per week), certified music teacher.
- Schedule a minimum of 45 minutes of instruction per student per week.
- Have adequate, secure storage space for the instruments and a room dedicated for music instruction. (Room may be shared with another arts-related curriculum).
- Complete annual progress report.
- Allow representatives from the RLSWF Grant Committee to visit the school during music-education classes.
Eligible Music-Program Activities
The request must meet the following criteria:
- This funding is to be used for support activities related to music education necessary to enhance the experience for the student. Examples of support activities are as follows:
- School purchase/rental of musical instruments
- Music-related curriculum
- Outside activities (concert, instruction, registration, etc.)
- Administrative costs (including overhead, wages, or travel)
- Purchase of personal instruments
Amount of Grant Request
The amount of a funds requested must be between $500.00 and $10,000.00.
- Applicants might not receive the full amount requested.
- Submission of a grant application does not guarantee the request will be approved.
- The grant funding pool for 2020 is estimated at $10,000.00.
- RLSWF retains the right to increase/decrease the grant funding pool at its discretion.
All grant recipients are required to submit a completion report by April 15, 2020. This report must be submitted and approved prior to receiving additional grants from the RLSWF.
Prior to SUBMISSION OF COMPLETION REPORT, it is the responsibility of the music department coordinator or school superintendent to discuss with the RLSWF the appropriate reporting requirements.
The report must include a complete project analysis:
- Final budget breakdown;
- Accurate financial records including copies of invoices and receipts for any expenditure(s) paid with RLSWF funds;
- An evaluation of the goals and objectives—were these met and why/why not;
- What would be changed for future funding (if anything).
Applicants may re-apply in subsequent years; preference will be given to new requests and/or continuation of existing programs that provide for expansion of music education. All prior reporting requirements must be completed in a timely manner.
- An application will not be considered if it is incomplete.
- Application must be well-organized and organized for easy access and reading.
- Applications must be received by the deadline; late applications will not be considered.
- Applications may not be submitted by facsimile (fax).
- The application may be submitted electronically or hard copy to:
- Email to email@example.com as a PDF.
- Mail to Box 830, Red Lodge, MT 59068-0830 and provide one printed original and two copies of the application to the address below.
- Applications must include the cover page.
- The original must have be signed and dated from the music department coordinator or school superintendent stating their acceptance of any possible granted funds.
Address any questions to:
Click here to download the Red Lodge Songwriter Festival Grant Application template (save and rename as your own file) to submit your application.